Young Crime and Gangs

My main concern about today’s issues is youth crime and gangs in our city.
I watch the television and read newspapers every evening. It’s a really big
issue in our province and people are getting involved and not knowing what
they are getting themselves into.

The youths are just young adults that do stupid things such as break and
enter, stealing vehicles, and causing accidents on the city streets. My
friends, who are now in the Remand Centre, shared with me some experiences
they had to live with when their so-called friends made them do things in
the days. They say it was part of something that they thought was fun. I
often asked them “Why did you choose that kind of life, stealing from people
that work hard for their money?”

I see and hear about a lot of crime downtown. Where is the love and respect
that people should show others? Why can’t we just get along and show our
children and grandchildren that life is not worth wasting? I really wanted
to write something like this because being involved in gangs is just not the
answer for anyone. I have children of my own to raise in a good environment.

by Adrienne

21 Comments »

1. Roslyn Said,

January 16, 2009 @ 11:16 am

I think that Adrienne has a strong point on this issue and it is nice to see that one person is trying to get the message out if not anywhere else.

2. Natalie Said,

January 16, 2009 @ 11:26 am

I think you are very right on this issue.People should understand that they can’t be doing ungreatful things to other people especially the ones who do work hard to get where there at and they (who ever they are) should try make a difference for themselves. So I think you wrote a good article about youth crimes and gangs

3. Ila Said,

January 16, 2009 @ 11:29 am

I am a single mother myself and I am also blown away with how much the crime rate has increased with the youth these days. I also did some federal time due to a bad decision but believe me the youth would wish that they never stepped foot on the wild side when they get a taste of the big house. Don’t get me wrong, I love children of all ages and I feel for them but its not their fault.I know how it’s like to live and be raised in homes without that guidance and love. I strongly believe that it’s the parents of these children who need the wake up call and parent the children they bought into this world. Then maybe the children of this time and age will have respect for all. Great post!

4. Angel Said,

January 16, 2009 @ 11:58 am

I don’t like rising my boy in the city but I had to for my education and his. I see a lot of bad things near the building I live in,drug deals happening in the open for kids to see. I just wish everyone would do good and stop breaking the law at least the ones that hurm others

5. lindsay Said,

January 16, 2009 @ 12:00 pm

I think the problems with todays youth and gang activity are an issue for every body. From my experience young men in gangs are lacking a sence of belonging and guidence. Many young men that come to the city are from reserves and are still very nieve. This plays as a huge advantage to the gang recruiters who prey on the hearts of these young men. I think there should be more support for the young aborigianal men who come to this city to gain an education. Get these young people into resources to warn and educate them on the reality of gangs.

6. mohamed Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:11 am

I really think youth today are making stupid decisions by getting involved in crimes which they could have avoided. I really think it’s the surroundings because people will become a product of their environment. So yes I agree that there is too much crime in the city that needs to be dealt with.

7. corey Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:21 am

wow

8. Miss Pretty Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:21 am

I think that this person is puttting out there a really good point. However, I do not think that there is enough resources for these children who are commiting these crimes. You have to look at things from their point of view. Some of these kids do not know any better. They grew up that way. It is all they know. If there was more programs and resources for these children, I believe they may have a better chance at learning a better way to live earlier on in life.

9. corey Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:24 am

well maybe if the cops got off there duff and actually did ther job rather than letting the crime and the gangs rule the streets maybe things would would be much better for the youth and the streets would be more safe.

10. grace Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:33 am

I agree! What is happening with our youth in gang crimes. It’s sad they get trapped in this situation. Parents really should pay attention to their children – give them guidance and love.

11. Karen Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:39 am

I talked to an ex gang member that shared his story about gang life.
    He said when he joined the gang and he only did it because when his parents divorced he took it really hard.
    However he made some choices and wanted out of it. I won’t get into the details. The point of this little story I am sharing is that he’s just one of the many people that can be a good role model for our children and community.
    He now goes to speech conferences and works at a youth community center teaching kids with his words of wisdom.
    That’s very nice to see.

12. Spiderman Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:45 am

Being parents you should love your children and care for them because they’re feeding off you for the 18 years of their life.Talk to your kids because they’re the future generation. Teach them good ways so they can teach their kids good ways. As we get older the youth get younger but we can make a change if we teach our kids to stay out of trouble, stay in school, do something in your life, make a goal to what u wanna do. If you have the money put them in sports ,and as parents your children should be the inspiration in your life. They should be what’s waking you up everyday to go to work or go back to school because they’re only looking up to you. We can make a change in gangs and young crime if we make a change in our lives our kids and their future.

13. Precious Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:48 am

I’m speaking from experience and these parents do need a wake up call! It goes from generarion to generation with these youth doing what they want to do and nobody telling them it’s wrong. My little brother who is twelve and is a good kid hangs around with the wrong crew, and had his arm broken from some other youth who was nineteen. The parents do need to be around their children otherwise it’s going to be a big affect on them.

14. grace Said,

April 23, 2009 @ 9:48 am

One day I was at home on a Sunday afternoon waiting for my friend to bring home my son.But my friend phoned me she would be late.I was looking out from my door and saw men dressed in black and guns with them. They were waving at me to go back inside the suite I got scared then the phone rang. It was the police telling me to stay put and not to go outside.Later that day the police came and told the people to come out slowly from the building. It was gang related. About nine people were arrested that day. I was scared because I thought in my mind it was my boy.

15. pascal ndayizeye Said,

November 24, 2009 @ 12:17 pm

My comment about young crime and gangs is the government should do all the best to minimize this kind of trouble and to take care of young children. Otherwise if the government isn’t careful these troubled youth will increase in the city.

16. Jesse Said,

April 8, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Gangs now adays are heartless and crude with no respect. I like this issue because things need to changes and words must be heard. We’re all grown ups; things can change by raising our children by education and showing our children the way, the right way by guidance and support. Our generation feels that it’s too late for us, but we can still save the next generation. Ten years is a long way off. We can see improvements by then and if not, we can still save our family from gangs or peer pressure by training their minds by knowledge to make the right decisions.

17. florije Said,

November 24, 2011 @ 2:09 pm

I don’t like gangs much because they have no respect for anyone but themselves. ! don’t like seeing them or walking with them because it makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    I hope that society will take action and change for the good for the sake of the little children that are growing up around gang member and seeing them do their business of selling stuff.

18. AlexL Said,

November 26, 2011 @ 10:56 pm

As someone who grew up around gangs I learned many things. It’s a place where people turn when the are seeking respect and family. Although gangs are are serious issue in our city, we need to remember that it’s also an ongoing cycle. We have incarcerated men who are obviously not being responsible for their children. We have women who are incarcerated because of their affiliation and the things they do on account of their lifestyle. Yes it’s probably too late for our generation, but we are not trying to fix the problem for our future generations to come. All of us need to be held accountable. We are too forgiving of these people who live crime- filled lifestyles. These people who chose to live their lives this way live in constant turmoil and regret for the things they are made to do. Not to mention that our youth are reproducing and they are not even capable of taking care of themselves properly. It’s very unfortunate to see this kind of stuff happening around us. But really what can one person alone do?

19. Sterling C Said,

March 19, 2012 @ 8:55 am

A lot of the blame goes to the way these kids and adults were raised. In the ghetto some people would say I call it what it is – poverty. When you grow up with less then most you’re more hungry for the things that you dont’t have and most of these people try to cut corners by dealing drugs, stealing etc. T
    he end result is joining gangs. Once you go down this road it is very hard to get out. The way of stopping the violence would be to start at the source, the children. To change the way they’re raised and to make it a safe environment so they don’t have to steal to eat or sell drugs to feed their family or to pay the rent.

20. Seneca Said,

October 29, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

Gangs relates to colors and the group name. Street crime and gangs ain’t nice at all. So many young kids are involved not exactly knowing what they’re getting involved. Most of the times I watch the news. It’s about street crime and gangs, most of it occurring in the north end of the city.

21. Mickey.A Said,

October 29, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

It is true. We have to find a way to get to the little at a young age because some people are using drugs, money, etc. to make themselves seem cool and make them think that’s what ganglife is all about. Maybe there is a way we can show kids that those kind of things will turn you into something bad like,…….a zombie, because a lot of kids don’t like zombies or look at them as something bad or evil and there’s a lot of young kids playing zombie games. There could be a way kids can look at gangs differently; just gotta keep looking.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI